Monday, March 24, 2008

Life

Wheels churn (or spin uselessly, with some things) and life goes on...

Visited the old homestead over Easter weekend. The puppy was excited to be out in the open air and have a huge yard to run in. It felt good for me to be outside a bit, too. It was great to see family and old friends. I got a chance to dig into my old kids' books as well, and made progress on my recent quest to archive all the books I've read. I realize I'll never get to 100% because of textbooks, research projects, trips to the library, and forgotten give-aways...but I'm trying to nail it down as tightly as possible. I'm at an estimate of 850 and counting.

I'm going to be the proud owner of a new Desktop soon. I'm tired of being reliant on my girlfriend's old, busted-up laptop. Tax refund = new machine. I also fully intend to recover the info on the old hard drive one of these days, but the most important things are backed up.

The job goes OK. Not exciting, and some days nothing happens while other days I'm going crazy to get things done. Not much in between. Still, it pays and isn't onerous. My 1-year contract expires in September. Will I stay on? Doubt it, but who knows. Will I go back to the temp agency? Maybe. Will I seek something else entirely? Probably. Editing jobs sound good, but so do a half-dozen other things. I think I want a private sector or non-profit job next, for comparison. I guess more school is in the cards in 3 or 4 years.

Then there's the stupid stuff. Gotta set up an appointment to switch auto insurance to MD, get the car inspected and registered here, get the new liscense...sigh. I found an insurance agent and DMV info, but haven't managed to get the appointment or paperwork yet. I need to find a dentist, and probably a regular doctor as well. Not like I'm in a real hurry for those. I also have to call my Canadian lawyer again and try to avoid getting the crap sued out of me for a car accident that happened when I was 17. RIDICULOUS! Why does everyone hafta be out to screw everyone else so they can get some money? It's little colorful paper that doesn't buy much of anything anymore anyway. Anywho...

No comments: