Thursday, November 15, 2007

and speaking of vocabulary...

I stumbled across this awesome thing yesterday, and then saw another link to it this morning. If you want to build your vocab, here's the place to do it. Not only will you learn new words (I guarantee you'll learn at least something if you spend 10 minutes here), you can benefit hungry people.

Just when I was starting to lack faith in humanity, I encountered something like this. It seems to happen that way.

In other news, I found a couple of beautiful things in downtown DC that I had never seen before, and that I think are often overlooked. The most striking was the Memorial to the 56 Signers of the Declaration of Independence. It's adjacent to the reflecting pool and the Vietnam Veterans Memorial, and it really is beautiful. I also noticed a statue of John Paul Jones, and learned (actually, I think relearned) a bit of US history. This memorial was surprisingly well-done as well, although its fountains were a bit algae-covered. It sits right by the river pretty close to the Washington Monument. It's kind of in between a bunch of streets, so I don't think many folks actually go all the way up to inspect it.

No comments: